Sachin Rare Photos

Sachin 20 years Photos

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I don't have to prove that I can manage captaincy: Tendulkar

Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar has led Indian cricket from the front for two decades. He is the man who lets his bat do the talking. He speaks little but when he does it is only for the purpose of the game. Tendulkar spoke exclusively to TIMES NOW at a time when Indian cricket is going through a low phase.


Sachin, who believes in Indian cricket more than anything else, insisted that Indian cricket will cross all hurdles and all obstacles.


Significantly, Tendulkar also spoke about the injury to his right hand and his chances of playing in the final of the IPL 3 for Mumbai Indians on Sunday. Sounding unsure, Sachin said, "I will have to see if I can hold the bat. I have five stitches on my hand, and it will take eight days for it to heal." Excerpts:


Sachin, this is one of the best birthday gifts you are giving yourself and the Mumbaikars - entering the IPL final as skipper.


The first couple of years we didn't have a full squad and we had injuries so we got close to qualifying and just that. First year, if we had won the game against Rajasthan we would have qualified. So I am very happy and pleased that this year we have pulled through and performed reasonably well.


The guys have worked really hard and all the guys have chipped in. It's team work. It's not just the players on the field but also the extras sitting on the bench who have sacrificed a lot; also the support staff, right from the owners to the physios, coach everyone.


Does the birthday make it special?


Birthday, yes. I am glad that at least on my birthday we will have a good reason to celebrate and good reason to prepare for the final.


Let me rephrase the question. Is the team extra motivated because they want to gift the title to their captain?


The team is extremely motivated and we have worked really hard for this. It's not an overnight preparation.


You say as a person and as a skipper you have mastered the T20 format as compared to the last two years...


On a given day any team can beat anyone. It's just about doing the right things at the right time and you may have a lot of plans but you still need to go and execute those plans.


But as a captain does this give you extra pleasure... that as a skipper you wanted to do something... because this is another very big stage?


It's a big stage but it's not about proving a point to someone that I can manage captaincy. I have never played for that. The runs I have scored in all forms of the game, I was not trying to prove something to someone. I have just played because I enjoyed playing and loved playing and the passion for cricket is there. I have just done that and while doing that all this has happened.


The year gone by has been amazing. You have left Ricky Ponting behind with 12 hundreds.


I don't count, all I can say that God has been kind. I have worked hard, there are no shortcuts. You need to work hard but at the same time I have to say God's been kind to me and I can't thank him more.


Sachin, you go beyond cricket. Our cricket is strong enough - we have seen a phase as match fixing. We have seen what's going on now. You think we are resilient enough to tide over all this muck?


I think when that competitiveness is witnessed by millions you leave all those things behind. Life is not always a smooth journey. There are some rough patches in between and you overcome all those hurdles and I am sure cricket will help overcome all those hurdles.


People are waiting to see the match every evening... they switch on their television and see a competitive match. Well, any form of competitive sport is fantastic to watch. And it's not only cricket, it could be any sport. And that's what even I love - like me even millions of other people like to watch that. So I personally feel all those hurdles will be crossed.


After the 2007 World Cup people were questioning you but the kind of batsmanship which people are seeing from you after the Australia series Down Under has been great. How do you rejuvenate, reignite yourself?


I just felt after the World Cup that it was a rough period. I knew having been around for 17 international seasons that it was just a passing phase and I could overcome this. The World Cup was a big disappointment and it motivated me to do better and when we were not playing I was training very hard. I felt I had let myself and the entire country down. All of us had high expectations and it didn't work out, such is sport.


People will want to know whether Sachin Tendulkar will play the final. How's the hand?


My hand at this moment is not great. I have five stitches on the webbing and on my other hand there is swelling on the little finger. I have to just wait and see if I can hold a cricket bat and the rest will follow. But the first thing I have to see is whether I will be able to hold a cricket bat and take the impact, because the stitches won't come off for the next eight days. I have to give my best and hope for the best.


How big is the IPL for you and the youngsters?


In our team Mumbai Indians we take lot of pride in representing our team. Giving 100% is in the individual's hands, result no one can guarantee.


Next year we will see two new teams, new auction. There's lot of talk about how the format will unfold, whether players will be retained...


About retaining players my personal thoughts are that we should be allowed to retain four India players and four foreign players. As for domestic players, it should be up to the franchisees. I feel it's a tough call because all teams have made huge efforts in building a good side.


It's not an overnight result. For three years everyone has been working on what's the best combination. Even a player's identity is important. We have to look into these things and then have some changes. I hope there are not too many changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails